Packed with technologies such as Android Auto, Apple CarPlay and new active safety features, as well as a more spacious interior and an athletic, aerodynamically optimized design, the 2016 Cruze elevated the compact car segment – from San Francisco to Shanghai and from Boston to Buenos Aeries.
It was offered in more than 75 countries and went on sale first in North America in early 2016, where a new, standard 1.4L turbocharged engine with direct injection and an SAE-certified 153 horsepower (113 kW) contributed to a fuel consumption rating of 5.6 L/100km highway with the available six-speed automatic transmission. Stop/start technology contributed to the Cruze’s efficiency in stop-and-go driving.
The new turbo engine and a leaner architecture that contributes up to 250lbs overall weight reduction also aided the new Cruze, offering stronger performance, with expected 0-96 km/h acceleration of 7.7 seconds.
Vehicle highlights include:
- Next-generation Chevrolet MyLink with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay capability, includied a standard 7-inch-diagonal screen and available 8-inch-diagonal screen.
- 4L turbo engine with direct injection matched with a standard six-speed manual or available six-speed automatic transmission (North America)
- All-new, stronger and lighter body structure enhances agility, efficiency and safety – with approximately 250-pounds.
- Class-leading 2,700 millimetre (106.3-in.) wheelbase enhances roominess, contributing to greater rear-seat legroom and more rear knee room.
- Projector headlamps with light-emitting diode (LED) signature lighting – and LED daytime running lamps on up level models.
- More standard features than most competitors such as 10 air bags, four-wheel disc brakes, rearview camera and available OnStar 4G LTE with Wi-Fi hotspot
- New available features including wireless phone charging, heated rear leather seats and heated, leather-wrapped steering wheel.
- Available advanced safety features include Side Blind Zone Alert, Rear Cross Traffic Alert, Lane Keep Assist and Forward Collision Alert.
- New model range for North America including L, LS, LT and Premier – and a more expressive RS package.
Wind tunnel-optimized design
The 2016 Cruze’s expressive design is derived from a balance struck between the designers’ inspiration and the efficiency-optimizing input of wind tunnel testing –leveraging the aero experience of vehicles including the Volt. The result is one of the sleekest-looking cars in the class, with a 0.28 coefficient of drag – an attribute that contributes directly to the fuel consumption rating of 5.6 L/100km highway.
Proportionally, the 2016 Cruze is 68 millimetres (2.7 in) longer and nearly 25 millimetres (1in.) shorter in height than the current model, giving it a longer and leaner appearance. A faster windshield rake and a faster-sloping rear profile lend a sportier look to the design, while the rear profile culminates in a standard integral rear spoiler that contributes to the car’s aero efficiency.
Roomier, more-connected passenger space
With greater spaciousness and technology, the 2016 Cruze’s interior is designed to be more comfortable and a better-connected environment for the driver and passengers.
The greater spaciousness includes more rear legroom (917 mm / 36.1 inches) and 51 millimetres (2 in.) more rear knee room – more than Ford Focus and Hyundai Elantra. Beyond the quantifiable, there’s greater perceptual spaciousness in the new Cruze, driven by flowing line work in the instrument panel, which blends almost seamlessly with the front door panels.
Advanced safety features
The 2016 Cruze’s safety story began with the new, stronger body structure that incorporates high-strength steel in key areas to enhance strength and crash protection by helping to prevent intrusion into passenger compartment.
Cruze also returned with a segment-leading ten standard air bags, including frontal driver and passenger airbags, roof rail-mounted head curtain side air bags that help protect the front and outboard rear seating positions; Seat-mounted side-impact airbags (front and rear); and front knee airbags.
- Chevrolet Pressroom