The 2015 Ford F-150 – the reinvention of North America’s favourite pickup – won early praise for setting the standard for the future of tough, thanks to the all-new vehicle’s impressive combination of power, capability and efficiency.
The 2015 F-150 is the toughest, smartest, most capable F-150 ever. Regardless of model configuration or engine choice, every truck customer benefits from up to 700 pounds of weight savings the new truck delivers. The all-new F-150 can tow up to 1,100 more pounds, haul up to 530 more pounds and is projected to have fuel economy ratings in the range of at least 5 percent and as much as 20 percent better gas mileage than today’s truck, depending on the model.
Punishing testing proves toughest F-150 ever
The new truck’s improved performance is enabled by reducing up to 700 pounds of weight through the use of high-strength steel in the frame and high-strength, military-grade, aluminum alloy in the body.
Before the new F-150 went on sale, it was torture-tested for more than 10 million miles in a range of temperatures and terrain – in labs, at Ford proving grounds, in the hands of some of the most demanding truck customers and even in the gruelling Baja 1000 off-road race.
New technologies mean smartest F-150 ever
Several groundbreaking features debut in the all-new F-150, including 11 available class-exclusives:
- 360-degree camera view uses exterior cameras to create a bird’s-eye view of the truck to help drivers park, manoeuvre in tight spots, and navigate narrow roads and trails
- Integrated loading ramps enable easy loading of ATVs, motorcycles and mowers
- BoxLink combines metal brackets and custom cleats to secure a variety of accessories in the cargo box – from ramps to storage bins to bed dividers
- LED headlamps; LED tail lamps provide excellent night-time visibility
- Trailer hitch assist adds a new rear-view camera feature that incorporates a dynamic line based on steering wheel angle in the display to help customers line up their truck and trailer with no spotter or need to exit the vehicle
- Remote tailgate allows for tailgate to be locked, unlocked and released with the key fob
Four engine choices ensure most capable F-150 ever
The all-new F-150 line-up includes four engine options for more power, and to meet most any customer need:
- 7-liter EcoBoost®V6 with standard Auto Start-Stop: New engine design produces 325 horsepower and 375 lb.-ft. of torque. The 2.7-liter EcoBoost 4x2 has a maximum payload rating of 2,250 pounds and maximum tow rating of 8,500 pounds – ideal for meeting mid-range capability requirements and the needs of more than 90 percent of light-duty truck customers
- 5-liter EcoBoost: This twin-turbo EcoBoost engine delivers V8-like 420 lb.-ft. of torque and 365 horsepower to enable towing of up to 12,200 pounds – more than enough to handle a fully loaded, three-horse trailer or large boat. It has earned an industry-leading maximum payload rating of 3,180 pounds
- 0-liter V8 with twin independent variable camshaft timing: Improved power and efficiency, delivering 385 horsepower and 387 lb.-ft. of torque. Smart engineering enhancements such as a new long-runner intake manifold, revised intake cam duration and new pulse-separated exhaust manifolds help raise towing capability by 1,100 pounds to a maximum 11,100 pounds, and payload to 3,300 pounds
- 5-liter V6 with twin independent variable camshaft timing: This engine produces 283 horsepower and 255 lb.-ft. of torque. It has a maximum payload of 1,910 pounds and maximum tow rating of 7,600 pounds – unsurpassed for standard V6 light-duty pickup trucks
- Ford Media