A small luxury crossover that adds safety features.
The Buick Encore returns for 2014 with new safety features that complement the luxury amenities, refinement and signature Buick style for this unique crossover. The new features include Rear Cross Traffic Alert and Side Blind Zone Alert.
Encore is manoeuvrable, versatile and efficient, offering a uniquely sized package that’s unmatched in the luxury segment. With room for five and up to 1,371 litres (48.4 cubic feet) of storage space when the rear seats are folded, it delivers substantial cargo capacity along with a confident, higher driving position and available all-wheel drive. Buick’s exclusive QuietTuning is standard and includes active noise cancellation technology.
Additional standard features include 10 airbags, StabiliTrak stability enhancement and a 138-horsepower (103 kW) Ecotec 1.4L turbo four-cylinder/six-speed automatic powertrain, along with technologies such as Buick’s voice-activated IntelliLink. It uses Bluetooth or a USB to connect the driver’s smartphone to a seven-inch, high-resolution, full-colour display radio.
Encore’s sculpted styling identifies it as a contemporary Buick. Signature cues included a waterfall grille, chrome accents and surrounds, portholes on the hood and painted lower panels. Standard body-colour door handles with chrome strips and a styled, stainless steel exhaust tip add to the premium look.
Blue-accented halogen composite projector-beam headlamps and detailed taillamps further enhance the Encore exterior; and 18-inch, five-spoke painted aluminum wheels are standard. Seven-spoke chromed aluminum wheels are available.
The Encore Convenience (1SA/1SB) is generously equipped with these and more standard features:
- Ten standard air bags, including side curtain and knee air bags
- Air conditioning
- StabiliTrak electronic stability control
- Rear vision camera
- QuietTuning with Buick’s first use of Bose Active Noise Cancellation technology
- Four-wheel anti-lock disc brakes with electronic brake force distribution
- OnStar (with six months of Directions and Connections service)
- Electronic cruise control
- Ice-blue interior ambient lighting
- Upscale cloth seating with leatherette accents
- Six-way, power-adjustable driver’s seat with power lumbar adjustment
- Power windows with driver express up/down and front/rear passenger express down
- Seven-inch, high-resolution, full-colour display radio with Buick IntelliLink, AM/FM/Sirius XM (three months of service) SiriusXM Travel Link and Tune Select (requires subscription), stereo with CD player, auxiliary input jack, six speakers, USB port and Bluetooth wireless connectivity for select phones
- Leather-wrapped, three-spoke steering wheel with infotainment and cruise controls, as well as a locking feature to deter theft
- Colour-keyed, carpeted front and rear floor mats
- Rear cargo cover
- Roof-mounted luggage rails
- Dual gloveboxes
- Front Fog Lamps
- Theft-deterrent system
- Variable-effort electric power steering
- Eighteen-inch painted cast aluminum wheels
Buick IntelliLink details
Buick’s intuitive IntelliLink system is standard across the Encore lineup, including those equipped with the available GPS-enabled navigation. IntelliLink is easy-to-use and integrates online services such as Stitcher SmartRadio™ using hands-free voice activation via Bluetooth-enabled smartphones.
New features for 2014 include text message support and Siri Eyes Free. With text message support, the driver can be alerted to new messages and can have them read aloud, view and respond to them (functionality depends on the smartphone). Siri Eyes Free enables iPhone4S and iPhone, 5 users, to access Siri via the steering wheel controls and check calendar entries, have text messages read and respond to them, place calls or call up music.
QuietTuning gets ‘active’
Buick’s exclusive QuietTuning is designed to block or absorb sound and dampen or eliminate vibrations. For the Encore, specific content was applied to achieve 30 sound benchmarks for refinement, including Buick’s first application of Bose Active Noise Cancellation. It uses ceiling-mounted microphones to detect audible engine noise, the frequencies of which is processed by a computer that directs counteracting sound waves through the audio system’s speakers and subwoofer.
- GM Canada